Sunday 27 June 2010

Doll Census


This is my sweet Dolly Daughter, Julia ~ I love her to pieces :-) I was SO excited when she joined my dolly family as I had wanted a "big" doll for absolutely ages. I'm the only one in my family who loves dolls and in fact my children (who are 19) find most of my dolly family pretty freaky and think that I'm extremely weird ;-P

As you can no tell from the photo below, Julia is toddler-size ~ about 34" tall. This makes it so easy to dress her since she can wear "real" clothes. The only problem I've encountered is that her feet are very wide, so it's hard to find shoes which fit. I think I may have to have a go at making some for her :-)

On the back of Julia's neck is a stamp which says Jesmar Made in Spain. Up until yesterday, I hadn't been able to find out anything about Jesmar but one of my Flickr contacts has now given me this information:

"Your Julia is a Spanish doll from the 70s and 80s. Her original name was Rosaura. Jesmar was an important toy manufacturer in Spain that sadly stopped production a few years ago, after 60 years of activity. Rosaura had a wheel in her back to let her hair grow. And also a mechanism to put a disc and a battery inside and she could talk. But I see your doll back has nothing of it so that surprises me!"

When I first had Julia, I thought that perhaps I would re-root her hair as it has been hacked about rather badly but over time, I've grown to love her just the way she is :-)

Julia won't be parted from her pretty pink wellie-boots at the moment, even in this extremely hot weather!

7 comments:

Jess ______ said...

i have a doll just like her, I couldn't find anything on her except a marking as a jesman doll on the back of her neck. i have learned that you can make her walk and talk but i cannot figure out how. How much did you pay for your doll, my grandad bought me this doll and i have no idea how much she is worth xx

SharonLarkin said...

Hi Jess, thank you for leaving a comment. I'm sorry but I can't remember now how much I paid for Julia!

marleneruth said...

Oi sharpn agora vi nessa ppstagem você já sabe que essa boneca se chama rosaura

marleneruth said...

https://m.facebook.com/Hist%C3%B3ria-das-bonecas-977767265578671/

marleneruth said...

Oi te mando o link da minha coleção de bonecas curte lá obrigada

marleneruth said...

Eu tenho essa boneca

SharonLarkin said...

Hi Marlene, she is a beautiful doll isn't she!