Monday 30 August 2010

A gentle stroll...


Adrian and I had a gentle stroll this afternoon, to the recycling banks with our weekly accumulation of plastics. We took it slow and steady since poor Adrian has come down with a rotten cold and isn't feeling too well. On a selfish note, I do hope he doesn't share it with me!

The last time I remembered to take my camera with me to the Common, I didn't even notice that this poor tree was dead ~ and it is very close to the "sinking bench"! It looks very forlorn, surrounded by all the greenery and foliage of the other trees.

This is the River Purwell, looking towards the London to Cambridge railway line.

River Purwell again, looking in the opposite direction.

I was taking the previous photograph and these ducks came hurtling along from further up the river at breakneck speed! I expect the thought we had something tasty for them but they were out of luck ~ we were empty-handed.

There are a lot of trees on both sides of the river. I thought this one looked so pretty.

I think I shall have to get myself a book on trees, plants and shrubs native to the UK, then I might actually be able to tell you what it is you are looking at!

There were lots of fluffy seedheads about, mostly thistles though. This dandelion was standing in somewhat splendid isolation!

Bindweed has such a pretty flower ~ it's a shame it seems so intent on strangulation when it pops up in my garden! It is kept more in check by the other wild flowers over on the Common :-)

I don't know what this tree is called but the two different cone-type things, growing on the same tree, were rather fascinating.

A lonesome little buttercup ~ a shining beacon of sunshine amongst all the greenery.

I can't for the life of me remember what this plant is called but I'm pretty sure you can buy it as a garden plant!

The River Purwell flows beneath the railway embankment; when it comes out the other side, it joins with the River Hiz.

A gorgeous butterfly bush, growing at the foot of the railway embankment.

I couldn't resist taking a photograph of this dandelion ~ and then cropping it to produce a giant flower LOL

Bridge carrying the London to Cambridge railway line.

And finally back home, where the Michaelmass Daisies are starting to flower once again :-)

No comments: