Tuesday 17 August 2010

Not what they seem...


The Ebay seller described this set of dolls as Nancy Ann Storybook dolls plus one "odd" doll. I don't know anything about Nancy Ann dolls so had no idea if this was correct or not. I just really liked them :-)

Petula, the "odd" one in the red dress, is certainly made from a different material from the other four little girls. She is hard plastic and I believe the other girls may be composition. Standing next to Petula is Rosanna, then we have Gladys (who needs a little arm surgery ~ it was such a job to get her arms to stay in position for the photo!), beside her we have Philomena and finally we have Joyce :-)

I've been looking on the internet and to be honest, I really don't think these little girls are Nancy Ann dolls. From what I've read so far, the Nancy Ann dolls were bisque or hard plastic, and I have found a couple of pictures where the dolls were stamped on their back with Storybook. The composition girls all have their clothes stapled to them and I shouldn't imagine that you could do that to either bisque or HP dolls!

Still, it doesn't matter to me that they are not Nancy Ann dolls ~ I bought them because I liked them :-)

Here's a close-up of Petula's back. The stamp is a star and says Hollywood Doll, who were manufacturing these little dolls in various series from the 1940s to the 1950s so I believe :-) I don't know which series of dolls Petula is from, though, which is a shame. The tape on these dolls was there to help hold their underclothes in place, apparently.

No comments: