Tuesday 12 October 2010

On the kitchen windowsill


What do you think are the chances that this poor lavender will pull through?

I had three empty pots waiting for plants after I cleaned and rearranged the kitchen windowsill. As I was washing up the other day, the thought popped into my head that it would be very nice to have a lavender plant on there. So I had a search round under the flopped-over crocosmia in the back garden and 'rescued' this poor lonely little specimen! I wish I'd thought to take a 'before' photo; the lavender was so straggly and flimsy, and when I dug it out, there wasn't much by way of roots either. I somehow don't think it liked the spot I had plonked it down in out in the garden!

Anyhoo, in the circumstances I thought the least I could do was to give it a second chance at life ;-) I cut it right back ~ as you can no doubt tell ~ and put it in a pot of yummy (for plants, anyway!) potting compost. The kitchen windowsill gets lovely and warm as it faces more or less south, so hopefully this little plant will recuperate ~ at least it's got a fighting chance now as I think it would've died out in the garden this coming winter :-(

I brought this little geranium in from the garden where it hadn't done very well at all this summer. It's looking so much happier already! Like the lavender, I cut it right back and put it in a pot of fresh compost and stood it on the kitchen windowsill. It looks so much better and is sending out sweet little fresh green leaves.

It's a funny sort of thing, but often I can 'feel' how happy or sad my houseplants are :-) Is that strange, do you think or do you, dear readers, sense your houseplants' feelings too?

Isn't it funny what you see when your mind is wandering as you do the washing-up! I glanced at the cyclamen and it struck me that the new bud at the base there looks very much like the head of a seahorse LOL
I am sure that pretty Miss Cyclamen is feeling happy like Miss Geranium, as she keeps blooming and blooming :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your lavender should be fine - it's certainly better indoors in the warm so I think come this time next year it'll be nice and bushy :)