Friday 12 November 2010

I like potatoes.....


.....really I do, and I have nothing against the colour purple but, dear readers, I simply cannot get my head round the two put together.

Adrian saw these in the supermarket the other day and thought they looked interesting ~ which is how they ended up in my kitchen LOL They cook and taste just the same as regular tatties but I can't seem to get past the colour ~ it rather put me off the roasties we had with lunch last Sunday. I was sort of hoping they would revert to the more normal potato colour but they are purple all the way through ~ and when I par-boiled them, the water turned green and they stayed purple! And can you imagine purple mash???

It sounds quite mad, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to use them when I made potato wedges for dinner last night. Adrian thinks it's funny, this aversion I have to purple potatoes. I must confess, dear readers, that I would never have imagined that purple potatoes would make me feel so peculier. They just don't look right and it certainly doesn't feel right to be eating PURPLE POTATOES!

We still have five of the weird little blighters sitting forlornly in the larder, waiting for someone to do something with them ~ and let's face it, quite obviously it's not going to be your's truly ;-) Oh well, I expect they will only have to wait 'til the weekend when the 'master of the house' (snigger, snigger) does Sunday lunch. He certainly doesn't have any problems with purple potatoes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you do cook some more up I would love to see a photo of mashed purple potatoes!

Ali Richardson said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, I think your blog is great! And, I too dislike purple potatoes. Ever since I was a kid I have been someone who "eats with my eyes" and purple potatoes are just plain weird ;)

SharonLarkin said...

aethelfled, Adrian was only saying yesterday how great shepherds pie would look with purple mash on top!

SharonLarkin said...

Ali, thank you so much for visiting my blog and joining my little band of 'followers' :-) I'm glad you agree that purple potatoes are weird LOL Apparently they have more anti-oxidents in them, so I think that would be about the only 'good' reason to eat them!