Friday 5 November 2010

It's certainly very shabby.....


.....but do you think it's chic ;-)
This sweet little lamp belonged to Aunt Mary and I suspect that perhaps Uncle Jim may have put it together for her. The lamp-holder is attached to a lid which screws onto the glass base, so I wonder if it had been a storage jar of some kind previously. Whatever it was in a previous life, it now has the potential to become a receptacle for.....well, something ~ although right at this moment, dear readers, I'm not sure what, exactly! Buttons would be nice, wouldn't they, or faux pearl necklaces. Or how about something a little more kitschy ~ silk flower-heads, perhaps, or brightly-coloured pot pourri?? It really is just begging to be filled with something ~ if only I could make up my mind as to what that something should be!
Ho hum, I am sure that the ideal something will come to me in due course, when I've had a chance to have a good 'ole rummage in The Shed ~ and when it does, naturally you will be the first to know, my dears ;-)
I've thought long and hard about that vintage shade, as well. I pondered the question of whether to keep the shade but jazz it up with a little embellishment. Or should I rip off the cover and attach a new one?? Or perhaps I should throw caution to the wind, toss it to one side and replace it with a newer, younger model?? In the end, dear readers, I decided to simply keep the original vintage shade just-as-it-is, little rips and stains and all. My romantic nature must have got the better of me! That little lamp and shade have obviously been together for a very long while and it just seems rather unkind to tear them apart on a whim ;-)
The fact that I am trying hard to keep to my self-imposed terms of The Challenge is quite beside the point.....

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Ooooh, so much potential there methinks. You could fill it with seasonal things, a little bit of red and green sparkle for the festive season, tiny seashells in the summer. You get my drift I'm sure and I'm with you on the shade, it's fab!!!!!

SharonLarkin said...

Well, that's a relief ~ someone who thinks the shade is fab, too! I just can't part them from each other; I'm sure a lot of it is nostalgia because they belonged to Aunt Mary and that is how they lived in her home :-)

Oh yes, what a wonderful idea ~ filling the base with seasonal things! Thank you, sweetie (((hugs)))