Tuesday 11 January 2011

Books, glorious books


photograph by Catherine Hadler


One of the items on my 101 Things in 1001 Days list, my loves, is to start reading fiction again ~ along with setting up a page on the blog to catalogue what I'm reading/have read. Well, I have set up the blog page but have decided to use it for all the books I read, not just the fiction ones. I'm also going to quite blatently and shamelessly copy the layout which Frogdancer uses on her blog as it is just so sensible and logical ~ qualities I'm sometimes lacking or so I've been told ;-)

I used to read a lot of fiction and as a youngster would often find myself at the receiving-end of a telling off from my Mum because I hadn't done something she'd asked me to or I had ignored her ~ simply because I was so engrossed in my book that I wasn't aware of what was going on around me! I still read a lot of fiction right up to when I had the gruesome~twosome but after their arrival on the scene, sweetie~pies, my reading just seemed to come to something of a halt. Well, other than the obligatory Thomas the Tank Engine, Beatrix Potter, etc :-)

Once the children went to school, though, I had a little more 'me' time and so started reading once again. I also discovered the wonderful world of crafts round about the same time and so these were the books which I began to read. Fiction was forgotten as I found myself bedazzled and bewitched by the most wonderfully scrumptious selection of things to make! This has been true for many years now, with only the odd fiction book being read here and there. I also must confess ~ hanging my head in shame ~ that I haven't made use of our local library for many years. I can easily rectify that situation, though, by adding it to my 101 Things list ;-)

I think I shall most likely start my foray back into the world of fiction with the two The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books which are gifts I have yet to read, and I may just have to re-read ~ for the umpteenth time ~ my by-now battered and dog-eared copy of The Lord of the Rings. I also have a nice little pile of new craft books to peruse and delight over. Oh, don't worry, my loves, The Challenge pledge is still intact as I bought these with money I had for Christmas!

I do have some 'fessing up to do sooner rather than later, though, I must admit ~ The Challenge has taken a teensy wee bit of a battering these past few weeks.....

1 comment:

Ali Richardson said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my bookcase. I definitely need to read more often, but I can totally see why your hobby slowed down once you had little ones. When I finally do get a quiet moment, all I want to do is sleep ;)