Saturday 30 April 2011

The last photo...















I took this photo of Amber just a few days before she passed away *sigh* 

I miss my precious poochie, sweetie~pies.  It still feels weird when I look at this corner of the living room and she isn't there.  I still half expect her to follow me when I go upstairs.  I still say "night night pookie" when I go to bed each night, just like I always used to.  And when I have to go to the loo during the night, I still find myself cautiously feeling with my foot to see where she has spread her long limbs so that I don't tread on her.  She was my constant companion for 10 1/2 years and yet she was gone in an instant. 

I know that it was a "good" death for her ~ if there can be such a thing ~ as she didn't linger and suffer, but it was so terribly hard for us.  I think, deep inside, that I knew I was going to lose her as soon as she had the seizure.  So in a way it wasn't unexpected when our vet telephoned with the results of the blood tests and told us that the news wasn't good.  Still so hard to hear, though.  When she brought up blood I knew it was time to call the vet for the last time.  Amber had that first seizure at 5am and by 11am she was gone.  But she was at home with us, in her familiar surroundings with all the noises and smells that she had always known.  We were able to touch her and talk to her whilst the vet gave her that final injection and that is how she drifted away.  So yes, a good death if you like.  

And life carries on, doesn't it my loves, no matter what has happened.  Life doesn't stand still, it is always moving on.  Time passes, days go by, we have to carry on.  Memories stay in our hearts, though, always there for us to bring to mind whenever we want...         

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I hope your doing ok, or as best as you can be doing after the loss of your pup...I know how hard it is, I lost one of my cats a year ago, I had her for 16 years, it's never easy but we have the memories and so many of them. Hugs, Jennifer