Thursday 28 July 2011

The Thursday Poem




Child and Mother
O mother-my-love, if you'll give me your hand,
And go where I ask you to wander,
I will lead you away to a beautiful land,
The Dreamland that's waiting out yonder.
We'll walk in a sweet posie-garden out there,
Where moonlight and starlight are streaming,
And the flowers and the birds are filling the air
With the fragrance and music of dreaming.

There'll be no little tired-out boy to undress,
No questions or cares to perplex you,
There'll be no little bruises or bumps to caress,
Nor patching of stockings to vex you;
For I'll rock you away on a silver-dew stream
And sing you asleep when you're weary,
And no one shall know of our beautiful dream
But you and your own little dearie.

And when I am tired I'll nestle my head
In the bosom that's soothed me so often,
And the wide-awake stars shall sing, in my stead,
A song which our dreaming shall soften.
So, Mother-my-Love, let me take your dear hand,
And away through the starlight we'll wander,
Away through the mist to the beautiful land,
The Dreamland that's waiting out yonder.

Eugene Field
(2nd September 1850 - 4th November 1895)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

That's beautiful.

(Now I am pondering this poem, is the author giving ease to his dying Mother? It almost seems like it - JMO)

Jenna said...

Hi Sharon! That is such a heartfelt poem...just beautiful. I hope your having a wonderful day! I'm trying to catch up on blogs and sometimes I get lost...LOL!!! :o) Hugs, Jennifer