Monday 28 December 2015

2016 is fast approaching....






....and it will soon be time for the usual "another year, another fresh start" scenario.

Sadly, my annual New Year Resolutions can be summed up pretty much as in the picture above.....and not just since 2012!  I rather think I set myself up for failure from the word go, as my goals tend to be somewhat ambitious and all-encompassing.  I am very much an all-or-nothing type of person ~ unfortunately with the emphasis more on the "nothing" side of the equation!  You would find it hard to believe if you could see the state of my home (and myself, come to that), but I have come to the conclusion that I am a very frustrated perfectionist.  And since it feels impossible to impose any level of perfection to either myself or my home, I ignore all those little things that I could do to make myself feel better about both me and the house.  For years now I have simply been telling myself (and other folk) that I am a "terrible slut" when it comes to housework.  It is a very unpleasant way to describe myself, and over the many years I have been repeating it, it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

My goals for 2016 are very simple.  I think it is time for a change in my attitude towards life ~ time to practise the art of seeing the glass half full rather than half empty, and starting to appreciate all the wonderful things I have in my life.  Time to stop the endless hours of procrastination every day, time to actually start doing something ~ anything! ~ with my life before it really is far too late.  And those simple, practical, goals need to be undertaken slowly and methodically.  No more diving headlong into a task, biting off way more than I can possibly chew, then feeling too exhausted and demoralised to do anything else for weeks afterwards.  And my butterfly mind, constantly flitting from one new thing to yet another, needs to be held in check ~ it is after all just another form of procrastination.

So 2016, my loves, will see me stepping gently and slowly onto a new path.  I can't stop my mind from thinking of lots of new ideas but I can work my way through them in an orderly fashion, one thing at a time, finishing what I am starting before jumping into something new!

No comments: